Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Guest Blogger - Lisa Ferrari - Some Dreams Do Come True

Life in the city with a slice of country...  my dream come true.

Well, I always wanted to be a cowboy. Yup, that's right, we called everyone in western gear, western movies, and in the west in general "cowboys," (and it was not offensive...) So, half way through my life, I finally achieved a dream come true. I purchased my first horse, a 14 year old registered quarter horse named "An Obvious Gentleman," "Gent" for short.  Well, I cannot even describe what it feels like to finally have a lifelong dream come true - it still tickles me when I see him, my dream come true, and I'm a cowboy at last; well, in this day and age, I suppose I'm a "cowgirl."

Even though I lived in the city I managed to have a horse, as well as beautiful trails where him and I, alone, meandered through beautiful woods, contemplating life. Not really, I suppose - I just simply sat on his back, and took in every moment, every breath of his, every click and clack of his hooves, and we sauntered luxuriously through those trails.  I didn't need to trot or run, although we did, and I trusted him completely. I had no fear, just like when I was a child, and all of it was enjoyable. As long as I was with him, life was perfect.

I remember a specific trail that I loved. Gent wasn't a real fan of this trail, because it was the longer route back to his barn, where there was hay...  but I always went this way. You had to ride uphill at one point, and then the trail flattened out, and all of a sudden, it opened up to the most serene beautiful view. I always, at this point, took my feet out of the stirrups and let my legs dangle - no fear - as we slowly just walked this part of the trail, alone, in peace and tranquility. Just me, my horse's hoof steps, and his breath.

There is nothing more special to me than those rides with him, just me... and my dream come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's Missed Legacy

A thought I find so troubling and just plain sad in the wake of the Dallas shootings and all the other racial unrest bubbling up in our na...