Monday, April 12, 2010

Worldwide Devastation - Picture Al Queda with a Nuclear Warhead


Imagine, if you will... you are at work, and everyone suddenly gathers around the television in the conference room.  You grab your coffee and head in to join them, disturbed by the piercing warning sound coming from the television.  An anchor person comes on - the same anchor person who just yesterday was laughing about the weather - and in a tearful voice says, "We are about to be the victims of a nuclear attack, launched by ________.  We are launching a missile in a counterstrike, but the world is about to change forever. It is every man, woman and child for themselves.  God bless and keep you all...oh my God; it's really happening." 

The President is now taking on nuclear war, and I applaud him for this.  Too often his most ardent opponents are so blinded by this weird combination of distrust, fear, and often hate, that they cannot mention any single thing this man does right.  Make no mistake - I am not a fan, and I sincerely hope he is voted out come next Presidential election. I do, however, applaud his tackling nuclear arms and trying to get a substantive treaty on the table.  He has been criticized by conservative radio for the Adminisration's recent wording - in effect putting conditions on when we would - or more to the point, would NOT - strike back - and this is frightening to many.  They see him as too soft, too ready to apologize, too ready to back down first, in trust and a fatal naivete.  I agree.

But the President is putting a long-overdue spotlight on nuclear arms, in a summit here at home with 46 participating countries.  (Iran and North Korea - not there. Surprise! ) Although it is quite possible that nothing substantive will happen, this is meant to highlight the President's concern over loose nuclear material and the devastation to the world if it gets into the hands of terrorists.

Study the picture above for a moment.  Is anything that the President does to spotlight the dangers of , say, Al Queda, getting their hands on nuclar material, a waste of time?  I think not, and I support this summit, even if it is a baby step.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I am glad to see President Obama taking on nuclear weapons. However, I do disagree with his recent signing of the START treaty with Russia. I think the treaty makes us vulnerable to an attack and leaves us vulnerable if, God forbid, we are attacked. I hope the treaty does remove the threat of nuclear war but I still remain cautious.

    ReplyDelete

Obama's Missed Legacy

A thought I find so troubling and just plain sad in the wake of the Dallas shootings and all the other racial unrest bubbling up in our na...