Friday, March 25, 2011

Hey, That's a Bald-bend!

Day 4


I’m a little taken aback by an unexpected side effect of my 30-day yoga challenge: I’m now a bragger. I am simply giddy when I can boast to my family (and anyone else who will listen) about my newfound flexibility.

Case in point: My husband asked me how my yoga challenge was going (is he NOT reading my blog?!?!) and I boasted that I could still do a backbend. To which, he replied -- laughing I might add -- “You CAN-NOT!”

I immediately dropped to the hardwood in my living room, placed my feet flat on the floor, bent my arms backward and placed my palms securely on the ground near my ears, pushed my legs and arms up – and voila – contorted myself into a backbend.

“Move over,” he said. “I can do that, too.” Now, I’d like to point out that my husband is 5’10", 220 pounds, and beautifully bald. He desperately tried to mimic my swift moves, but he was less than successful.

“See, it’s not that hard,” he said, as he rested his entire body weight on his feet, hands – and bald head.

“That’s not a backbend,” I said, “That’s a bald-bend!”

He then tried to redeem himself by doing pushups with my 5-year-old on his back but I was clearly the victor in this physical challenge and he knew it! Which got me thinking . . . maybe there’s an undiscovered sport here: competitive yoga. Yogis could compete to see who can hold each pose best. The prize -- a bumper sticker that simply reads, “My Downward Dog is better than yours.”

On to Day 5!

Namaste,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's Missed Legacy

A thought I find so troubling and just plain sad in the wake of the Dallas shootings and all the other racial unrest bubbling up in our na...