Saturday, April 2, 2011

Erin's Yoga Challenge continues...who has the TV clicker?

Day 12


I am sad to report that yoga took a backseat to hockey and baseball again this Saturday – I have come to terms with this fact and recognize that this is now two Saturdays in a row that my Warrior 1 lost out to my son’s sports schedule. I have lowered my expectations for any future Saturday sessions so if I actually get to go, it will be a serious bonus!

Actually, I was OK with not going to the studio because I had a great back-up plan – yoga on-demand. Exercise TV offers quick exercise options so I thought this would be an easy way for me to stay committed to my 30-day-goal. (I also did the math and realized that I am now running a tab with five skip days – today was a day to get creative if I want to save face!)

Well, let’s just say that on-demand yoga is a scary second option to a studio class. For starters, my basement family room isn’t quite as Zen as the YogaSlim instructor’s studio on TV. Her room was draped in pretty sage green floor-length curtains; I found myself trying to quiet my mind while surrounded Barbie’s Townhouse and dozens of Play Doh canisters.

I also had a difficult time transporting myself to my “happy place” while my husband threatened my girls with solitary confinement if they bothered me. Hearing my husband state quite emphatically, “Unless your head is now detached from your body or you are bleeding profusely, you are not allowed to bother your mother,” doesn’t exactly set the tone for a meaningful yoga session.

So, when I realized about 10 minutes into my YogaSlim on-demand session that this wasn’t working for me, I quickly turned off Exercise TV, plopped myself on the couch, put my feet up on the coffee table, and tuned to the Entertainment channel to catch up on a bit of celebrity gossip. What my family didn’t know wouldn’t hurt them . . . .

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great post!! I enjoyed every little bit of it, I have you bookmarked and waiting for all the new stuff you post.

    ReplyDelete

Obama's Missed Legacy

A thought I find so troubling and just plain sad in the wake of the Dallas shootings and all the other racial unrest bubbling up in our na...