Friday, April 1, 2011

And Mother of the Year Goes To...

Day 11


My 9-year-old daughter has been complaining of a sore throat for two days now and woke up last night at 2:30 a.m. with a stomachache. When I first heard her early morning shuffle in the hallway as she approached my room, my first thought was not, “Oh, I hope she’s not sick” or “Oh, I hope she didn’t have a nightmare.” No, my first thought was, “Oh great, I’m not going to yoga.”

Of course I rallied my motherly instincts, crawled back into bed with her on her top bunk until she fell asleep and made a doctor’s appointment first thing this morning for a quick Strep test. I’m doing all the right “Mom” things and I DO feel badly that she’s not up to snuff, but I can’t shake this horrible feeling: I’m becoming obsessive/compulsive about my yoga . . . and I’m kind of OK with it.

Anyone who knows me will attest to the fact that when I commit to something, I don’t just jump in with both feet: I jump in over my head! So, as I continue on my 30-day yoga challenge, I will have to keep myself in check so that my headfirst plunge into the yogi world doesn’t take over completely. My fear is that if I let it go too far, my children will have cold cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner; my husband will have to go to Target at least once a week to buy new underwear as there won’t be any clean; and my house will constantly look as if we have just been robbed.

My husband, thankfully, has stopped saying Namaste – so I can now dedicate my next yoga session to finding a balance between perfecting my Warrior 2 pose and keeping my husband out of Target.

Namaste,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's Missed Legacy

A thought I find so troubling and just plain sad in the wake of the Dallas shootings and all the other racial unrest bubbling up in our na...