Saturday, April 9, 2011

Erin's Yoga Challenge Days Are Flying (Monkeys)

Days 17 and 18


Day 17 and Day 18 are really like Groundhog Day for me (please tell me you’ve seen that silly movie? It’s a classic!) so I am lumping them into one blog post. My son is home again today. His docs claim his Strep test is negative – again, I am thinking they are now in on the conspiracy - the one the germs have been planning all week to thwart my yoga practice. The score now reads:

Germs: 4

Yoga: 0

I have been to yoga ONCE this week. I assumed that my lack of attendance is what has put me in such a dark, want-to-strangle-the-world kind of mood but my husband has a different theory. He thinks it’s actually the YOGA that is making me a scary person to live with these days, not my missed sessions.

He shared his theory with me this way:

“What’s the opposite of Namaste?” he asked very innocently as he was writing “Namaste” in his little work notebook.

“I don’t know exactly but I think it’s a pretty peaceful word,” I respond. “I like saying it.”

“Well, I think you should actually start saying “Etsaman” instead – that’s Namaste spelled backward,” he stated in a bold, matter-of-fact manner.

“Why would I do that?” I asked, clearly missing the point of the conversation.

“Well, I actually think you’ve MORE bitter and grouchy since you started this yoga – Namaste doesn’t fit but Etsaman clearly does.”

That’s just great. Here I am thinking I’m oozing all of this knowledge, insight and peace about the world but in reality, I’m just oozing anger. Not the expected outcome of my 30-day-quest.

Which got me thinking . . . could he be right? Could my yoga be turning me into the Wicked Witch of the West when all along I thought I was becoming Glinda the Good Witch? I’m going to have to give this some serious thought during my next session – and hope against hope that I don’t have the urge to yell: “I’ve got flying monkeys and I’m not afraid to use them!”
Namaste,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's Missed Legacy

A thought I find so troubling and just plain sad in the wake of the Dallas shootings and all the other racial unrest bubbling up in our na...